Doppler Ultrasonic Flowmeter DFM 5.1
- User-Friendly Calibration
- Password Protected
- Isolated 4-20mA Output
- 2 Control Relays
- Digital Signal Processing
- Optional Intrinsic Safety
- Application Areas
- User’s Guide
- How It Works
- Non-Contacting Ultrasonic Sensor
- Accurate and Verifiable
- Built-in 2-million point Data Logger and Windows Software
- USB Outputs to Flash Memory Sticks
- Isolated 4-20mA/0-5V Output
- 2 Programmable Control Relays
- Simple 5-key Calibration with Language Selection
Measure flow from outside a pipe. Doppler Ultrasonic Flowmeter DFM 5.1 is designed for “difficult liquids” that would damage regular flow meters – wastewater, slurries, sludge, chemicals, viscous liquids and abrasives. There is no obstruction to flow and no pressure drop. The non-intrusive, clamp-on ultrasonic sensor fits any pipe 1/2″ (12.5 mm) Inside Diameter or larger. The electronics/display enclosure can be mounted nearby.
Use the isolated 4-20mA to transmit flow to remote displays, recorders or controllers. The programmable relays can be used for flow control, pump protection or flow proportionate pulse. Calibration is easy with the built-in 5-key calibrator. Display and totalize flow in your choice of engineering units (gallons, liters etc.)
Sensor cable can be extended up to 500 ft. (152 m) with no loss of signal. The standard sensor is rated non-incendive for Class I, Division 2 hazardous locations and the Doppler Ultrasonic Flowmeter DFM 5.1 can be equipped with optional Intrinsic Safety Barriers for sensor installation in Class I, Division I hazardous locations. Other options include extra control relays and a built-in 2 million point Data Logger with USB output to Flash Drives.
Doppler Ultrasonic Flowmeter DFM 5.1 includes a new digital signal processor to filter background noise and interference, and to measure flow rates accurately in liquids containing gas bubbles or solids particles.
- Raw Sewage
- Treated wastewater
- Viscous liquids
- Chemicals and Acids
- Sludge and Slurries
- Pulp stock
- Food products
- Lubricating Oils
- Crude Oil
- Cooling Water
DOPPLER ULTRASONIC FLOWMETER SPECIFICATIONS
SCOPE: This specification covers a non-intrusive, ultrasonic Doppler-type flow meter as manufactured by Greyline Instruments Inc., Massena, New York / Long Sault, Ontario. The instrument shall provide for velocity or volumetric indicating and transmitting of the flow rate in a full pipe.
A. PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS
- The flow meter shall operate with a single-head flow sensor mounted externally on any contiguous pipe material that conducts sound including: carbon steel, stainless steel, ductile iron, copper, FRP, PVC, ABS, or cement lined pipe from 1/2" to 180" (12.5 mm to 4.5 m) ID.
- Measure and indicate flow rates from +0.25 to +40 ft/sec and -0.25 to -40 ft/sec (+0.075 to +12.2 m/sec and -0.075 to -12.2 m/sec) with accuracy of ±2% of reading on liquids with entrained particles or gases of 100 microns or larger and minimum concentrations of 75 ppm.
B. TRANSDUCER (FLOW SENSOR)
- The flow sensor shall be single-head, ultrasonic in a stainless steel housing. It shall be installed on the outside of a pipe without interrupting flow. The sensor shall be capable of continuous operation at temperatures from -40°F to 300°F (-40°C to 150°C), and to withstand accidental submersion pressures to 10 psi. Manufacturer's recommended coupling compound and stainless steel mounting clamp shall be included.
- Shall include 20 ft (6m) Sensor cable, shielded coaxial pair.
- Shall be capable of extending sensor cable up to 500 ft (152m) without requirement for operator adjustment.
- Shall be transformer isolated and designed to meet intrinsic safe requirements. Shall be designed for maximum RFI rejection, and include automatic high voltage bleeds for nearby lightning strikes.
- Sensor shall be rated Non-incendive for Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C & D locations.
- The transmitter indicator shall be housed in a watertight and dust tight NEMA4X (IP 66) polyester and polycarbonate enclosure with a gasketed shatter proof window, and suitable for wall mounting.
- Flow meter electronics shall be designed to operate at temperatures from -5°F to 140°F (-20°C to 60°C). Electronic circuits are interchangeable with other flow meters having the same model number. The transmitter circuit and calibration frequency standard shall be crystal controlled. The transmitter shall be powered by 100-240VAC 50/60Hz requiring less than 5 Watts.
- The transmitter shall include a built-in 5-Key calibration system with operator selection of parameters through visual prompts from a Menu calibration system. Systems requiring calibration by Parameter codes or external calibrators shall not be accepted.
- The 4-20mA shall be flow proportional and isolated, with programmable zero and full scale offsets. Maximum resistive load shall be 1000 ohms. It shall include automatic high voltage bleeds for nearby lightning strikes.
- Shall include noise suppression circuitry to filter electrical interference.
- Have a white, backlit matrix LCD display indicating flow rate in user-selected engineering units, units of calibration, relay states, signal strength and 16-digit totalizer.
- Have 2 control relays rated 5 ampere SPDT. Relays shall be programmable for flow proportional pulse output, or as flow rate alarms with separate ON/OFF set points.
- Shall display and totalize forward and reverse flow.
- Electronics shall be modular and field replaceable by means of plug-in circuit boards. The instrument shall detect and load software menus automatically for field-installed options.
D. ADDITIONAL FEATURES FOR INSERTION IN SPECIFICATION AS REQUIRED:
- Sensor shall be rated intrinsically safe to Class I, Groups C,D; Class II, Groups E,F,G; Class III with Intrinsic Safety Barriers.
- Sensor cable shall be 50 ft (15m) length shielded coaxial pair.
- Sensor cable shall be 100 ft (30 m) length shielded coaxial pair.
- Have a Sensor Cable Junction Box and up to 500 ft (152m) length total shielded coaxial pair cable installed in conduit for mechanical protection.
- Have a thermostatically controlled AC-powered enclosure heater for condensation protection in locations with temperature below -5°F (-20°C).
- Have power input of 9-32VDC.
- Have a built-in 2 million point Data Logger with USB output to flash drive or mass storage device. Include Windows software.
DOPPLER FLOW METER DFM 5.1
DOPPLER FLOW METER DFM 5.1
Doppler flow meters measure flow from outside a pipe with a clamp-on sensor. Greyline Doppler meters continuously transmit high frequency sound (640 kHz) that travels through the pipe wall and into the flowing liquid. Sound is reflected back to the sensor from solids or bubbles in the fluid. If the fluid is in motion, the echoes return at an altered frequency proportionate to flow velocity. Doppler flow meters continuously measure this frequency shift to calculate flow.
Measure Flow of dirty or aerated Liquids from Outside a Pipe
The Doppler effect was first documented in 1842 by Christian Doppler, an Austrian physicist. We hear everyday examples of Doppler: the sound of a train whistle changing pitch as it passes by, or the exhaust noise from a race car as it speeds past our location.
The Doppler technique only works on liquids which contain solids or gas bubbles to reflect its signal. These are "difficult" liquids that may damage regular flow meters: slurries, sludge, wastewater, abrasives, viscous and corrosive chemicals. Because the sensor mounts on the outside of the pipe, there is no pressure drop and no obstruction to flow.
For best performance Doppler sensors should be mounted away from turbulence creating devices like pipe elbows and tees, and away from velocity increasing devices like controlling valves and pumps. Typical accuracy is ±2% of full scale.
Doppler instruments include a clamp-on ultrasonic sensor, connecting cable and an electronics enclosure which can be mounted at a convenient location nearby (within 500 ft / 152 m). Sensors can be rated intrinsically safe for mounting in hazardous-rated locations.
Designed for “difficult” liquids
Answer: The DFM 5.0 Doppler flow meter works best in applications that would defeat regular contacting flow meters. Because the Sensor is mounted on the outside of the pipe, it is unaffected by abrasives or harsh chemicals. There is no obstruction to flow and no pressure drop.
Easy to Install
Answer: Each DFM 5.0 Doppler Flow Meter includes a strap-on ultrasonic sensor, an adjustable stainless steel mounting clamp and sensor coupling compound. The sensor fits on the outside of any pipe diameter ½" (12.7 mm) or larger. It takes just a few minutes to install. There is no need to shut down flow.
Simple, Single-Head Sensor design
Answer: Ultrasonic signals are transmitted and received from a single-head sensor. The mounting clamp (included) ensures correct sensor alignment on horizontal or vertical pipes. The DFM 5.0 automatically self-tunes to the cable length up to 500 ft. (152 m).